Thursday, March 15, 2012

Are You a Hobo?

Are You a Hobo?

It didn’t take long for the tears to form in Mick’s eyes. He reached into his pocket and pulled out some change - pennies, nickels and dimes.This is the story he told…

So yesterday I was walking down the street, and I walked past a girl on a bike. She stopped and said,`Are you a hobo?’ I was embarrassed by the question, so I said, “No, I’m not a hobo, I’m just down on my luck right now.”She reached into her pocket and pulled out some change and said, “Here.” I asked, “Where’d that money come from?”“It’s my allowance. Here, you can have it.” “No, thanks, but you should spend it on something for yourself.” "But    I am. I’ll just leave it here for you.” Then she put the money down on the sidewalk and rode away. I could see Mick was moved by the story. I waited.“It made my day. I don’t want to spend the money. I just want to keep it in my pocket, you know, as a reminder that that little girl wanted to help me. To remind me that there are good and decent people in this world. I mean, that girl was brought up right. You can tell.”He picked up the change, fingered the coins and put it back in his pocket. “How old was she?” I asked. “About six, I’d say. I wanted to follow her home to thank her parents, and tell them what a great daughter they’re raising, but I knew that would freak them out, so I just let her ride off.  What a great little girl.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment