Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Guests and Clients

            When I speak with providers about the Center, I always emphasize that the homeless who walk in are guests and not clients. Or, to be more accurate, they’re not clients yet.  Once they interface with an agency representative, then they might become a client for that agency.   But for me, my staff and volunteers, the homeless (and near homeless) who come in are always guests.

          What does that mean? It means I can welcome and serve them without worrying about their eligibility for programs. Providers do that. It means I deal only with their behavior inside the Center, without worrying about what may or may not have happened in the past or outside the Center. Police do that. It means I am not responsible for working with them on their future plans.  Case managers do that.
 
            It means I can focus on the moment, listening, responding and maintaining a safe zone that deals with today. Especially if guests want to make a fresh start and get beyond past problems, then today is the right focus. And if guests want to build a new future, that work also begins with doing today right.

      Certainly some aspects of my job require learning from the past and planning for the future; but 95% of the time, working with homeless guests asks me to be present in the present. In a swirling sea of trauma and trouble, it’s a good way to stay afloat.

No comments:

Post a Comment