Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Grand Central Station of Manchester

Most of the time, it’s constant. Homeless guests knock on the office door, wave, call out my name or sidle up for a whispered word. It is not uncommon to field fifteen requests an hour.

What do they ask?

“These sneakers are shot. Where can I get some boots for the snow?”
“When’s Dave coming in? I need to talk to him.” (Substitute Jacob, Izet, Lisa, Mary,
Linda or Peter – our regular team of excellent providers)
“Can I get my laundry done today? I’m in a bind.”
“I have a restraining order against that guy. Can I talk to you about it?”
“Where can I get a bus pass?”
"Some guy is on the phone, wanting to talk about what this place is all about.”
“We need more paper towels in the men’s room.”
“Do you need some help around here today?” 
“Joe is outside drinking from a can he keeps hidden in his jacket.”
“Shall we put out an extra pot of coffee?”
“I need to get out of this town. I got a friend in Nashua.            
           Can I call him to tell him to come
get me?"
“Can you print out this resume for me?”
”New Horizons is on the phone. They’re sending someone down to us.
            They need to talk
about her.”
“There’s a parole officer here, wants to talk to you.”
“There’s a leak in the kitchen.”
“Can I get my mail here? They say you do a letter about that.”
   
From tiny details to life crises, life at the Center is a constant stream of requests. But
that’s the whole point. This place is a referral center, a kind of Grand Central Station
where people make connections on their way some place else.


Written By: Christopher Emerson, Manager, Manchester Homeless Services Center

No comments:

Post a Comment